Prince of Chernigov and Kiev
June 18th (June 5th old calendar).
The Right-believing Igor prince of Chernigov accessed the throne in 1146. The citizens of Kiev not loving the dynasty of Olgovitch proved false to him and delivered him to Izyaslav prince of Pereyaslav who was originally proclaimed Grand Duke . Saint Igor renounced the earthly way of life and became a monk in the Theodore Monastery and received the ascetic name of Ignatius. On Septembe 19th, when a mob rebels removed him from the monastery while he was praying before the icon of The Mother of God, killed him brutally and dragged his body through the streets of Kiev. For this evil-doing, much misfortune fell on the inhabitants of Kiev, but candles were several times seen to light of themselves on the grave of this blessed monk, and a fiery column appeared over the church were he was buried. This was in 1147.
Following June 5th 1150, when the relics of the Saint prince Igor, lauded for their wonderworks, were transported from Kiev to Chernigov and placed in the Church of the Transfiguration, "From that time on - according to notations of chroniclers - they began to celebrate the memory of the Right-believing prince Igor." In the "original draught on icon paintings" it is said that prince Igor was of medium height, cold, swarthy, sported long hair and his beard was short and sparce. The Saint prince Igor is revered on the same level with Boris and Gleb as a bearer of sufferings.
Holy Protection Russian Orthodox Church
2049 Argyle Ave. Los Angeles, California 90068